Introduction: Benefits of having a Blog
A blog is one of the most important component of any business site looking to generate leads and improve engagement with their clients. It helps you to establish yourself as an expert on specific topics, while increasing the probability of engaging with your visitors through conversation and social media sharing. It also allows you to easily update your site with fresh and new content, making your site more dynamic than sites that don’t have a blog.
Additionally, having a blog also helps your search engine ranking. Because people are interacting more on your website and you are routinely providing new content, search engine index your site more frequently than others, thus ranking it better than sites that have less interaction with visitors.
Finally, because every time you post a new article on your site, you are essentially creating a new page, you are indirectly growing your site and creating new landing pages that might lead to conversions. That is why it is also important to always offer a call to action or offer in every single post you create on your blog.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Blogging
It is very important to understand that while blogging can be a beneficial tool for lead generation and customer engagement, misuse of these tools can give you negative results. In order for us to help you avoid making some of the most common mistakes we have included a short but useful list of Do’s and Don’ts to take into consideration when writing articles for your blog.
- Write and create articles of value to your visitors and not search engines or keywords.
- Write flawless content. Good grammar and spelling is essential when writing and article. Always ask someone else to proofread your articles for typos, mistakes or poor grammar. Search Engines are less forgiving than your visitors, they will penalize articles with bad grammar and typos.
- Be consistent. Readers and search engines like to know when they can expect a new post or article from you. So plan and organize how many articles you want to be posting per month. Although there is no magical number on how many times you should be posting on your blog, it is recommended that you should post at least once per week.
- Be relevant and stay on topic. Remember your days in school when you had to have structure for every essay that you wrote. Visitors and search engines are grading your article on structure and how relevant the content is to the main idea of the article.
- Be original, don’t duplicate or copy someone else’s content. Search engine will also penalize you, if you copy content from other places.
- Always use catchy and intriguing titles. Also make sure the title is a good representation of the content presented in the article. Having a bad title will lower the probability of people wanting to read your article, so take the time to craft catchy and intriguing titles.
- Do not create content with Search Engine Optimization as your main objective. Remember that you should create content for your visitors. If you are just creating content for SEO, then visitors to your site will notice and leave, increasing your bounce rate and, thus, hampering your chances to improve ranking. Also, you will decrease the probability of generating a lead.
- Don’t worry about keyword density. In other words use keywords when they make sense. Search engines have become very smart and will know if you are doing keyword stuffing, hurting your search ranking.
- Writing articles with little content will hurt your reader’s loyalty and your page could be considered as low quality when it comes to SEO ranking.
- Don’t forget your ALT tags on the images and other media you use. Remember that search engines are blind and they can only read text, so don’t leave media with a tag.
- Leave title tags automated. Many people usually post with a long title that describes the topic in too many words. Keep your title shorter than 60 characters, but most important, don’t forget to optimize your title with at least one focused keyword when possible.
- In conclusion, just write articles with your visitors in mind and not for search engines. Try to write the best articles possible, provide value, and if the readers like it, so will the search engines.